Tuesday, December 09, 2008

How much more can one family take?

Liliana had her heart catheterization yesterday and the analysis was not what we wanted to hear. Her mitral valve leak has become severe and she will definitely need a third surgery. Apparently, her valve tissue is so abnormal, it has been difficult to solve this issue without resorting to a plastic replacement valve. Lily still has pneumonia and they will probably wait until she has recovered enough to go through yet another heart surgery. The surgeon spoke with us last night and said there was one more thing he could try that did not involve the plastic valve but he wanted to think about it and consult with colleagues. A plastic replacement valve is not an ideal option for an infant since it brings it's own set of complications along with the certainty of more surgeries for replacement.

As if that news wasn't bad enough, my mother had to be admitted for chest pains yesterday. She had a heart catheterization as well and ended up having blockage that required a stent to be used. She is doing fine and will be in Fairview hospital until Wednesday. Gwyneth had to be shuffled off again and is staying with some friends. This entire ordeal is equally difficult on our three-year old as well as everyone else.

I told Kim that if we wrote a book about our experience I don't think anyone would believe what has happened in the course of the last 5 weeks. Not only have we had to deal with Liliana's surgery but it has been intermixed with 3 separate family illnesses and accidents severe enough to require hospital trips.

5 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce, Sarah's mom. Dear Kim and Bill, My heart is truly breaking for you as I somewhat know where you are right now, simply because our stories are so similiar. I know we have never met before, but I do know the ins and outs of the Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital very well, so if I could help by sitting with Lily to give you a break, I would be happy to. My cell is 216-780-5916. Please do not hesitate to call. Our prayers are with you.

Kim Rees said...

Thank you to everyone who has given us their support through all of this. Liliana would love some visitors! Anyone that would like to come up and see her is welcome as long as you are not sick with a cold or flu bug. Thanks again!

Nick McGivney said...

Keep the faith Bill, because you'll know yourself a whole lot better on the other side of all this. And you'll know too just how much more capable you are of handling stuff than you thought possible. It's not at all funny how the odds sometimes get stacked against us this way. Unfair? I don't know, but I do know that we are strongest when it's needed, and I'll wish and pray for you all at this time. God bless from Ireland. And you have an absolutely adorable angel there.

Our Story: Continued said...

I found your blog through another blog. We will be praying for your daughter. The 4th anniversary of my daughter's AV Canal repair just passed and she is doing really well now. I will pray for Lily to heal and to do well for her next surgery! My husband and I used to say that our book about our lives would be called "Seriously?!?!" or "Are you kidding me?"

Prayers from Texas!
www.waitingforreese.blogspot.com
www.ourblahblahblog.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

My husband and I are praying for your little Liliana and your whole family.